A New World of Opportunities
The 4th edition of the Seatrade Latin America Cruise Convention will take place in the homeport of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil from 2-3 September, 2014. The event returns to Brazil after touring the region having taken place in Sao Paulo, 2011, Buenos Aires in 2012 and Valparaiso in 2013. It is the first time that the event has taken place in Rio de Janeiro.
The two day conference, exhibition and social programme will focus on the development of the cruise industry in Latin America addressing opportunities and challenges, including increasing both source and international passenger numbers, developing new itineraries and shore excursions and port development.
Launched by Seatrade in 2011, The Seatrade Latin America Cruise Convention delivers a strategically important platform for the development of regional cruise tourism in Latin America.
Key Facts about Cruise Tourism
- Forecast to grow from 20.9 million passengers in 2013 to 29 million passengers by 2029
- Latin America has only 3.4% global market share
- Brazil’s market has grown 35% in past 5 years
- From a FCCA/BREA Survey of 21 destinations for the 2011/12 season, Cruise Tourism generated US$100billion of direct expenditure of which in 5 countries expenditure exceeded US$100million and generated over 45,000 jobs
- 97% of cruise passengers go on shore of which 77.7% make at least one purchase
- 80% of cruise passengers agree that Cruise Tourism is a good way to sample a destination that they may wish to visit again
- 40% of cruise passengers return to a destination they first visited on a cruise for a full vacation